Subject: [Gimp-gui] Shrink Toolbox Widgets

From: Andrew Pullins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 19:54:10 -0400

Feature Request <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756603>,
attachment 313347
<https://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=313347>

#User Story

As a user with a smaller screen horizontal screenestate can be just as
important as vertical screenestate.   When the user gets rid of the
widgets they can shrink the toolbox to the width of one tool icon.
But then they do not have the much needed toolbox widgets.

#Details

In order to get the most out of the available horizontal screenestate
you have to take away the toolbox widgets. But this takes away the
toolbox widgets from the user.  So then you have to deal with the wast
of space that they widgets take up.

As a solution I purpose that when shrinking the toolbox that bar not
stop at the width of the widgets but  The toolbox and its widgets
should shrink down to the width of a normal 22x22 tool icon.

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live
with him.

<https://www.facebook.com/android272>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/113439282950133616549/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-pullins/6a/2b3/366>
<https://twitter.com/android272>  <http://android272.deviantart.com/>

---

From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:22:55 +0200

Hi,

On 2015-10-15 01:54, Andrew Pullins wrote:
> Feature Request [1], attachment 313347 [2]
> 
> #User Story
> 
> widgets they can shrink the toolbox to the width of one tool icon. But
> then they do not have the much needed toolbox widgets.
> 
> #Details
> 

There is no "width of the widgets" most of the time (you can indeed 
request a minimum size, but that's usually not done), but simply they 
happen to take either the place needed by their children, or the place 
given to them. In your screenshot, I would guess that the fg/bg 
color/brush/pattern/thumbnail are the widgets which dictated the size of 
all the tool widgets. Without these, it would likely shrink to the icon 
size.
So basically your request is to size down these down when the toolbox is 
1-icon wide.

There is also a bug report about switching to small icons more easily 
(https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=754442), though I see that 
small icons do not actually change the size of such buttons (fg/bg color 
and such in the toolbox), which can be considered as related.

This is probably all to be discussed and decided with the rest of the 
discussion about revamping the toolbox.
Thanks.

Jehan

---

From: Kevin Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:54:44 +0000

>and such in the toolbox), which can be considered as related.

The fg/bg selection widget size is controlled by the theme, with the limitation of the hard-coded values. See https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=739469 where the hard-coded values are causing problems with the opposite problem - high resolution monitors needing bigger icons/widgets.

Kevin

---

From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:02:00 +0200

Hi,

On 2015-10-15 14:54, Kevin Payne wrote:
> The fg/bg selection widget size is controlled by the theme, with the
> limitation of the hard-coded values. See
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=739469 where the hard-coded
> values are causing problems with the opposite problem - high
> resolution monitors needing bigger icons/widgets.

If anyone is well aware of GTK+ 3 theme logics and design choice, this 
could be interesting by the way.
I'd like to understand better what should be considered as theme choices 
and what should be programmatic choices.

Jehan

> Kevin
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-gui-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-gui-list

---

From: Michael Natterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:46:50 +0200

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 16:02 +0200, Jehan wrote:
> > > small icons do not actually change the size of such buttons
> > > (fg/bg 
> > > color

I think I have a pretty complete picture here and even spent some
time recently on that widget. It can easily be made more flexible
in GIMP 2.10, the GTK+ 3.x porting effort is minimal. Will look if
I even produced an unfinished patch...

--Mitch