Subject: [Gimp-gui] Auto-shrink checkbox

From: Georgy Grigoryev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 04:52:13 +0000

In earlier versions of GIMP was a "auto-shrink checkbox". Than it was
replaced with button, which is more clear show what is the checkbox doing.
But it works only one time. If you extract a lot of elements from frame
it's tiring you for every element click button. I mean if you have a
checkbox to enable auto-shrink for every selection it will be great. Button
shrink selection one time, and checkbox enable auto-shrink for all. What
about that idea?

---

From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:49:22 +0100

Hi,

On 2015-12-30 05:52, Georgy Grigoryev wrote:
> replaced with button, which is more clear show what is the checkbox
> doing. But it works only one time. If you extract a lot of elements
> from frame it's tiring you for every element click button. I mean if
> you have a checkbox to enable auto-shrink for every selection it will
> be great. Button shrink selection one time, and checkbox enable
> auto-shrink for all. What about that idea?

I didn't even know about the auto-shrink feature. That's cool.
The docs indeed speak of a checkbox 
(https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-rect-select.html). I'm not sure when 
it has been changed and why.

I could imagine though that if you forget you checked this box, it can 
be confusing when later selection automatically shrink. This may have 
been the reason.
If shrinking selection is a very common usage of yours, why not set a 
keyboard shortcut for it? There is the "select-shrink" action. This may 
be better than making it automatic actually, no?

Jehan

---

From: Georgy Grigoryev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 20:14:47 +0000

Ok, it's good idea. It may be useful for me, I will try. But I think
autoshrink checkbox have a chance to live. It behavior can be like this:
automatically dropped to unchecked state each choosing select tool from
toolbox. What about that? No confusing and little
more valuable functionality to whom it may concern.

---

From: Michael Natterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:02:15 +0100

> it has been changed and why.

It has been changed because if you draw a rectangle, and that
rectangle's shape changes as soon as you release the mouse
button, is really bad UI.

An explicit button instead of a toggle is much more obvious
and more usable in almost every scenario. The remaining
scenarios where one would want the toggle back were considered
fringe cases.

--Mitch

---

From: Michael Natterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:03:32 +0100

> be better than making it automatic actually, no?

select-shrink is an entirely different operation.

--Mitch

---

From: Jehan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:05:57 +0100

Hi,

> select-shrink is an entirely different operation.

Oh, then sorry for misleading you, Georgy.

Mitch > what is "select-shrink" for then? Quite a misleading name 
actually! And is there an action which does the same thing as clicking 
this shrink button?

Jehan

---

From: Georgy Grigoryev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:16:05 +0000

Ok, Michael, do you know how I can make my scenario little more usable?
Any key shortcut will be great..