Subject: [Gimp-gui] Paint Dynamic and Tool Preset Preview

From: Andrew Pullins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:34:07 -0400

Feature Request <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756995>,
attachment <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=313899>
Paint Dynamic Preview

#User Story

As a digital painter when selecting or making paint dynamics it is
rather hard as you can not see what the dynamic will look like till
you select it and start painting.  When in the middle of painting you
don't have time to to constantly check all the different dynamics
available.

#Details

I purpose that a live preview be shown when making a dynamic as well
as selecting a dynamic.  I was playing around with the path tool the
other day making a selection and stroking them to show off something.
I made my selection with the path tool and in the path dialog > paint
along path I noticed the stroke with a paint tool. This option allows
you to take any of the paint tools and stroke the path as if you were
to trace the path with that tool. This was cool I had never seen this
option before.  So I started playing around with it.  I switched my
dynamic of the paint brush tool and found that if you stroke a path
with a brush with a dynamic it will make a perfect line as if you were
to apply and increase pressure up to the mid point and then decrease
pressure down the the last point.

It occurred to me that this could be used to show off paint dynamics.
So I started working on the attached image.  It would be really nice
if while making a paint dynamic a preview image of the dynamic you are
creating be shown in the Paint Dynamics Editor.  Every time you change
an aspect of the dynamic the path should redraw the brush with that
dynamic.

Once the user is done editing the dynamic this image should be shown
in the Paint Dynamic dialog.  Currently there is only one view of the
list.  I think that there should be two more views added. First Grid
view where you only see the image with out the title of the dynamic.
And second a streached preview where the dynamic is stretched along
the whole length of the dialog.

This should also be the case for Tool Presets.  The only difference
between Paint Dynamic preview and Tool Presets preview is. Paint
Dynamic Preview would show what ever FG/BG, brush, gradient, pattern,
and palette the user has selected and the Tool Preset would show a
preview of what ever FG/BG, brush, gradient, pattern, palette, and
font that is saved to the Tool Preset.

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live
with him.

<https://www.facebook.com/android272>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/113439282950133616549/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-pullins/6a/2b3/366>
<https://twitter.com/android272>  <http://android272.deviantart.com/>